Towns and Villages Area Profile
Please enter the name of a town or village:
All settlements classified as
(Click on links below to view report)
Search for other settlement
Area Profile of Cloughmills - Based on 2001 Census
Cloughmills is classified as a Village and this settlement has the following profile recorded in the 2001 Census.
Statistical Classification: Village
The Settlement Service Classification Report (2006) defined settlements in Bands A - G as Retail, 'Public Administration, Health and Education', Employment and Service Centres. Cloughmills is classified as the following:
- Retail Centre - No
- Public Administration, Health and Education Centre - No
- Employment Centre - No
- Service Centre - No
The population of Cloughmills on Census day (29th April 2001) was 1240 people. The demographic characteristics of the people living in Cloughmills were as follows:
On Census Day 2001 there were 463 households in Cloughmills. Statistics relating to Cloughmills households include:
- 24.1% were aged under 16 years;
- 16.2% were aged 60 and over;
- the average age was 34.3 years (NI average age 35.8 years);
- 49.4% of the population were male and 50.7% were female;
- 36.6% were from a Catholic Community Background;
- 61.9% were from a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' Community Background;
- 5.4% were born outside Northern Ireland; and
- 0.2% were from an ethnic group other than white.
Health and Care
- average household size was 2.67 persons per household (NI level 2.65 persons per household);
- 67.6% of households were one family households;
- 6.0% were lone-parent households with dependent children.
According to the 2001 Census, health and care statistics for Cloughmills show:
Housing and Transport
- 19.8% of people had a limiting long-term illness, health problem or disability;
- 110 people noted that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others (49 providing 20 or more hours of care per week); and
- 40.2% of households had at least one person with a limiting long term illness.
According to the 2001 Census, housing statistics for Cloughmills show:
Transport statistics taken from the 2001 Census show:
- there were 471 household spaces in Cloughmills;
- 23.1% of household spaces were either a detached house or bungalow; and
- 26.1% of households were owned outright, 48.0% were owned with a mortage or loan and 25.3% were rented.
The 2001 Census travel-to-work statistics show that of the 541 people aged 16-74 who lived in Cloughmills and were in employment:
- 83.8% of households had access to a car or van; and
- there were 544 cars or vans in this area.
Education, Employment and Economic Activity
- 82.4% usually travelled to work by car; and
- 6.5% usually worked at or from home.
According to the 2001 Census, education statistics for Cloughmills show:
Census 2001 employment statistics show that of the 541 people aged 16-74 who lived in Cloughmills and were in employment:
- 7.7% of the population aged 16-74 had degree level or higher qualifications;
- 48.2% had no qualifications.
Unemployment statistics from the 2001 Census showed that in Cloughmills:
- 42.3% were female;
- 57.7% were male; and
- 13.7% were employed as ‘Managers, Senior Officials or in Professional Occupations’.
The table below gives a comparison with the Northern Ireland picture.
- 3.6% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.
|Percentage Comparisons (%)||SETTLEMENT||CLASSIFICATION BAND||N.IRELAND|
|Cloughmills||Village||N.I||Under 16 years of age||24.1||24.4||23.6||Over 60 years of age||16.2||17.0||17.6||Male||49.4||48.7||48.7||Female||50.7||51.3||51.3||Catholic (Community Background)||36.6||44.8||43.8||Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related) (Community Background)||61.9||53.2||53.1||Born outside of NI||5.4||7.6||9.0||Ethnic group other than white||0.2||0.5||0.8||Persons with limiting long-term illness||19.8||20.1||20.4||Providing unpaid care||8.9||9.8||11.0||Owner-occupied households||74.7||68.4||69.6||Detached houses/bungalows||23.1||35.5||36.5||Access to a car or van||83.8||76.2||73.7||Degree level education or higher||7.7||11.9||15.8||No qualifications||48.2||45.5||41.6||Persons in employment who are female||42.3||44.4||45.0||Persons in employment who are male||57.7||55.6||55.0||Unemployed||3.6||4.1||4.1|
All statistics from the 2001 Census. Percentages have been rounded to one decimal place.
Last revised 30th April 2007.
Crown Copyright 2011