Towns and Villages Area Profile
Please enter the name of a town or village:
All settlements classified as
Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside:
(Click on links below to view report)
Search for other settlement
Area Profile of Dervock - Based on 2001 Census
Dervock is classified as a Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside and this settlement has the following profile recorded in the 2001 Census.
Statistical Classification: Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside
Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside
The Settlement Service Classification Report (2006) defined settlements in Bands A - G as Retail, 'Public Administration, Health and Education', Employment and Service Centres. Dervock is classified as the following:
- Retail Centre - not applicable
- Public Administration, Health and Education Centre - not applicable
- Employment Centre - not applicable
- Service Centre - not applicable
The population of Dervock on Census day (29th April 2001) was 601 people. The demographic characteristics of the people living in Dervock were as follows:
On Census Day 2001 there were 240 households in Dervock. Statistics relating to Dervock households include:
- 22.8% were aged under 16 years;
- 13.3% were aged 60 and over;
- the average age was 33.3 years (NI average age 35.8 years);
- 47.9% of the population were male and 52.1% were female;
- 5.8% were from a Catholic Community Background;
- 93.3% were from a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' Community Background;
- 3.8% were born outside Northern Ireland; and
- 0.0% were from an ethnic group other than white.
Health and Care
- average household size was 2.50 persons per household (NI level 2.65 persons per household);
- 67.2% of households were one family households;
- 17.1% were lone-parent households with dependent children.
According to the 2001 Census, health and care statistics for Dervock show:
Housing and Transport
- 22.8% of people had a limiting long-term illness, health problem or disability;
- 68 people noted that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others (38 providing 20 or more hours of care per week); and
- 46.7% of households had at least one person with a limiting long term illness.
According to the 2001 Census, housing statistics for Dervock show:
Transport statistics taken from the 2001 Census show:
- there were 252 household spaces in Dervock;
- 26.6% of household spaces were either a detached house or bungalow; and
- 15.0% of households were owned outright, 24.2% were owned with a mortage or loan and 57.1% were rented.
The 2001 Census travel-to-work statistics show that of the 201 people aged 16-74 who lived in Dervock and were in employment:
- 57.7% of households had access to a car or van; and
- there were 173 cars or vans in this area.
Education, Employment and Economic Activity
- 72.1% usually travelled to work by car; and
- 6.5% usually worked at or from home.
According to the 2001 Census, education statistics for Dervock show:
Census 2001 employment statistics show that of the 201 people aged 16-74 who lived in Dervock and were in employment:
- 5.4% of the population aged 16-74 had degree level or higher qualifications;
- 60.7% had no qualifications.
Unemployment statistics from the 2001 Census showed that in Dervock:
- 42.8% were female;
- 57.7% were male; and
- 6.0% were employed as ‘Managers, Senior Officials or in Professional Occupations’.
The table below gives a comparison with the Northern Ireland picture.
- 7.9% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.
|Percentage Comparisons (%)||SETTLEMENT||CLASSIFICATION BAND||N.IRELAND|
|Dervock||Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside||N.I||Under 16 years of age||22.8||24.3||23.6||Over 60 years of age||13.3||17.0||17.6||Male||47.9||51.1||48.7||Female||52.1||48.9||51.3||Catholic (Community Background)||5.8||47.5||43.8||Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related) (Community Background)||93.3||50.7||53.1||Born outside of NI||3.8||7.6||9.0||Ethnic group other than white||0.0||0.4||0.8||Persons with limiting long-term illness||22.8||18.2||20.4||Providing unpaid care||11.3||10.7||11.0||Owner-occupied households||42.9||82.4||69.6||Detached houses/bungalows||26.6||72.4||36.5||Access to a car or van||57.7||87.9||73.7||Degree level education or higher||5.4||14.5||15.8||No qualifications||60.7||43.2||41.6||Persons in employment who are female||42.8||41.3||45.0||Persons in employment who are male||57.7||58.7||55.0||Unemployed||7.9||3.3||4.1|
All statistics from the 2001 Census. Percentages have been rounded to one decimal place.
Last revised 30th April 2007.
Crown Copyright 2011