Towns and Villages Area Profile
Please enter the name of a town or village:
All settlements classified as
(Click on links below to view report)
Search for other settlement
Area Profile of Enniskillen - Based on 2001 Census
Enniskillen is classified as a Medium and this settlement has the following profile recorded in the 2001 Census.
Statistical Classification: Medium
The Settlement Service Classification Report (2006) defined settlements in Bands A - G as Retail, 'Public Administration, Health and Education', Employment and Service Centres. Enniskillen is classified as the following:
- Retail Centre - Yes
- Public Administration, Health and Education Centre - Yes
- Employment Centre - Yes
- Service Centre - Yes
The population of Enniskillen on Census day (29th April 2001) was 13599 people. The demographic characteristics of the people living in Enniskillen were as follows:
On Census Day 2001 there were 5361 households in Enniskillen. Statistics relating to Enniskillen households include:
- 23.2% were aged under 16 years;
- 17.4% were aged 60 and over;
- the average age was 36.1 years (NI average age 35.8 years);
- 48.1% of the population were male and 51.9% were female;
- 61.5% were from a Catholic Community Background;
- 36.3% were from a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' Community Background;
- 14.7% were born outside Northern Ireland; and
- 1.2% were from an ethnic group other than white.
Health and Care
- average household size was 2.49 persons per household (NI level 2.65 persons per household);
- 62.1% of households were one family households;
- 9.2% were lone-parent households with dependent children.
According to the 2001 Census, health and care statistics for Enniskillen show:
Housing and Transport
- 20.4% of people had a limiting long-term illness, health problem or disability;
- 1331 people noted that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others (531 providing 20 or more hours of care per week); and
- 39.1% of households had at least one person with a limiting long term illness.
According to the 2001 Census, housing statistics for Enniskillen show:
Transport statistics taken from the 2001 Census show:
- there were 5769 household spaces in Enniskillen;
- 34.2% of household spaces were either a detached house or bungalow; and
- 25.9% of households were owned outright, 38.0% were owned with a mortage or loan and 35.5% were rented.
The 2001 Census travel-to-work statistics show that of the 5413 people aged 16-74 who lived in Enniskillen and were in employment:
- 72.6% of households had access to a car or van; and
- there were 5545 cars or vans in this area.
Education, Employment and Economic Activity
- 73.5% usually travelled to work by car; and
- 6.8% usually worked at or from home.
According to the 2001 Census, education statistics for Enniskillen show:
Census 2001 employment statistics show that of the 5413 people aged 16-74 who lived in Enniskillen and were in employment:
- 16.9% of the population aged 16-74 had degree level or higher qualifications;
- 39.4% had no qualifications.
Unemployment statistics from the 2001 Census showed that in Enniskillen:
- 47.2% were female;
- 52.8% were male; and
- 22.8% were employed as ‘Managers, Senior Officials or in Professional Occupations’.
The table below gives a comparison with the Northern Ireland picture.
- 5.2% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.
|Percentage Comparisons (%)||SETTLEMENT||CLASSIFICATION BAND||N.IRELAND|
|Enniskillen||Medium||N.I||Under 16 years of age||23.2||25.2||23.6||Over 60 years of age||17.4||16.0||17.6||Male||48.1||48.3||48.7||Female||51.9||51.7||51.3||Catholic (Community Background)||61.5||61.5||43.8||Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related) (Community Background)||36.3||36.7||53.1||Born outside of NI||14.7||10.2||9.0||Ethnic group other than white||1.2||0.9||0.8||Persons with limiting long-term illness||20.4||21.4||20.4||Providing unpaid care||9.8||10.1||11.0||Owner-occupied households||64.5||65.5||69.6||Detached houses/bungalows||34.2||32.5||36.5||Access to a car or van||72.6||72.1||73.7||Degree level education or higher||16.9||13.9||15.8||No qualifications||39.4||43.4||41.6||Persons in employment who are female||47.2||46.0||45.0||Persons in employment who are male||52.8||54.0||55.0||Unemployed||5.2||4.8||4.1|
All statistics from the 2001 Census. Percentages have been rounded to one decimal place.
Last revised 30th April 2007.
Crown Copyright 2011