Towns and Villages Area Profile
Please enter the name of a town or village:
All settlements classified as
(Click on links below to view report)
Search for other settlement
Area Profile of Moira - Based on 2001 Census
Moira is classified as a Intermediate Settlement and this settlement has the following profile recorded in the 2001 Census.
Statistical Classification: Intermediate Settlement
The Settlement Service Classification Report (2006) defined settlements in Bands A - G as Retail, 'Public Administration, Health and Education', Employment and Service Centres. Moira is classified as the following:
- Retail Centre - Yes
- Public Administration, Health and Education Centre - No
- Employment Centre - No
- Service Centre - No
The population of Moira on Census day (29th April 2001) was 3682 people. The demographic characteristics of the people living in Moira were as follows:
On Census Day 2001 there were 1372 households in Moira. Statistics relating to Moira households include:
- 24.3% were aged under 16 years;
- 13.8% were aged 60 and over;
- the average age was 34.8 years (NI average age 35.8 years);
- 48.8% of the population were male and 51.2% were female;
- 13.0% were from a Catholic Community Background;
- 82.6% were from a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' Community Background;
- 9.4% were born outside Northern Ireland; and
- 0.9% were from an ethnic group other than white.
Health and Care
- average household size was 2.63 persons per household (NI level 2.65 persons per household);
- 73.7% of households were one family households;
- 4.6% were lone-parent households with dependent children.
According to the 2001 Census, health and care statistics for Moira show:
Housing and Transport
- 14.3% of people had a limiting long-term illness, health problem or disability;
- 356 people noted that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others (112 providing 20 or more hours of care per week); and
- 27.1% of households had at least one person with a limiting long term illness.
According to the 2001 Census, housing statistics for Moira show:
Transport statistics taken from the 2001 Census show:
- there were 1408 household spaces in Moira;
- 58.1% of household spaces were either a detached house or bungalow; and
- 22.3% of households were owned outright, 63.7% were owned with a mortage or loan and 13.2% were rented.
The 2001 Census travel-to-work statistics show that of the 1866 people aged 16-74 who lived in Moira and were in employment:
- 90.4% of households had access to a car or van; and
- there were 2000 cars or vans in this area.
Education, Employment and Economic Activity
- 81.0% usually travelled to work by car; and
- 7.0% usually worked at or from home.
According to the 2001 Census, education statistics for Moira show:
Census 2001 employment statistics show that of the 1866 people aged 16-74 who lived in Moira and were in employment:
- 27.7% of the population aged 16-74 had degree level or higher qualifications;
- 28.0% had no qualifications.
Unemployment statistics from the 2001 Census showed that in Moira:
- 45.8% were female;
- 54.2% were male; and
- 31.5% were employed as ‘Managers, Senior Officials or in Professional Occupations’.
The table below gives a comparison with the Northern Ireland picture.
- 1.5% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.
|Percentage Comparisons (%)||SETTLEMENT||CLASSIFICATION BAND||N.IRELAND|
|Moira||Intermediate Settlement||N.I||Under 16 years of age||24.3||25.1||23.6||Over 60 years of age||13.8||16.2||17.6||Male||48.8||48.8||48.7||Female||51.2||51.2||51.3||Catholic (Community Background)||13.0||41.9||43.8||Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related) (Community Background)||82.6||55.7||53.1||Born outside of NI||9.4||8.4||9.0||Ethnic group other than white||0.9||0.6||0.8||Persons with limiting long-term illness||14.3||18.1||20.4||Providing unpaid care||9.7||10.1||11.0||Owner-occupied households||86.8||74.4||69.6||Detached houses/bungalows||58.1||39.0||36.5||Access to a car or van||90.4||80.0||73.7||Degree level education or higher||27.7||16.2||15.8||No qualifications||28.0||39.8||41.6||Persons in employment who are female||45.8||45.0||45.0||Persons in employment who are male||54.2||55.0||55.0||Unemployed||1.5||3.5||4.1|
All statistics from the 2001 Census. Percentages have been rounded to one decimal place.
Last revised 30th April 2007.
Crown Copyright 2011