Towns and Villages Area Profile
Please enter the name of a town or village:
All settlements classified as
(Click on links below to view report)
Search for other settlement
Area Profile of Newtownards - Based on 2001 Census
Newtownards is classified as a and this settlement has the following profile recorded in the 2001 Census.
The Settlement Service Classification Report (2006) defined settlements in Bands A - G as Retail, 'Public Administration, Health and Education', Employment and Service Centres. Newtownards is classified as the following:
- Retail Centre - Yes
- Public Administration, Health and Education Centre - No
- Employment Centre - No
- Service Centre - Yes
The population of Newtownards on Census day (29th April 2001) was 27821 people. The demographic characteristics of the people living in Newtownards were as follows:
On Census Day 2001 there were 11141 households in Newtownards. Statistics relating to Newtownards households include:
- 22.2% were aged under 16 years;
- 15.9% were aged 60 and over;
- the average age was 36.0 years (NI average age 35.8 years);
- 48.3% of the population were male and 51.7% were female;
- 8.4% were from a Catholic Community Background;
- 85.9% were from a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' Community Background;
- 7.8% were born outside Northern Ireland; and
- 1.0% were from an ethnic group other than white.
Health and Care
- average household size was 2.48 persons per household (NI level 2.65 persons per household);
- 69.3% of households were one family households;
- 7.8% were lone-parent households with dependent children.
According to the 2001 Census, health and care statistics for Newtownards show:
Housing and Transport
- 18.9% of people had a limiting long-term illness, health problem or disability;
- 3303 people noted that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others (1198 providing 20 or more hours of care per week); and
- 37.2% of households had at least one person with a limiting long term illness.
According to the 2001 Census, housing statistics for Newtownards show:
Transport statistics taken from the 2001 Census show:
- there were 11502 household spaces in Newtownards;
- 27.2% of household spaces were either a detached house or bungalow; and
- 21.6% of households were owned outright, 47.7% were owned with a mortage or loan and 29.7% were rented.
The 2001 Census travel-to-work statistics show that of the 12871 people aged 16-74 who lived in Newtownards and were in employment:
- 74.6% of households had access to a car or van; and
- there were 12437 cars or vans in this area.
Education, Employment and Economic Activity
- 74.5% usually travelled to work by car; and
- 5.5% usually worked at or from home.
According to the 2001 Census, education statistics for Newtownards show:
Census 2001 employment statistics show that of the 12871 people aged 16-74 who lived in Newtownards and were in employment:
- 13.0% of the population aged 16-74 had degree level or higher qualifications;
- 39.2% had no qualifications.
Unemployment statistics from the 2001 Census showed that in Newtownards:
- 46.8% were female;
- 53.2% were male; and
- 17.6% were employed as ‘Managers, Senior Officials or in Professional Occupations’.
The table below gives a comparison with the Northern Ireland picture.
- 3.6% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.
|Percentage Comparisons (%)||SETTLEMENT||CLASSIFICATION BAND||N.IRELAND|
|Newtownards||N.I||Under 16 years of age||22.2||23.7||23.6||Over 60 years of age||15.9||17.2||17.6||Male||48.3||48.3||48.7||Female||51.7||51.7||51.3||Catholic (Community Background)||8.4||41.2||43.8||Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related) (Community Background)||85.9||55.5||53.1||Born outside of NI||7.8||9.1||9.0||Ethnic group other than white||1.0||1.1||0.8||Persons with limiting long-term illness||18.9||21.1||20.4||Providing unpaid care||11.9||10.4||11.0||Owner-occupied households||70.3||65.5||69.6||Detached houses/bungalows||27.2||25.3||36.5||Access to a car or van||74.6||69.4||73.7||Degree level education or higher||13.0||13.0||15.8||No qualifications||39.2||44||41.6||Persons in employment who are female||46.8||45.6||45.0||Persons in employment who are male||53.2||54.4||55.0||Unemployed||3.6||4.3||4.1|
All statistics from the 2001 Census. Percentages have been rounded to one decimal place.
Last revised 30th April 2007.
Crown Copyright 2011