Towns and Villages Area Profile
Please enter the name of a town or village:
All settlements classified as
Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside:
(Click on links below to view report)
Search for other settlement
Area Profile of Waterfoot - Based on 2001 Census
Waterfoot is classified as a Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside and this settlement has the following profile recorded in the 2001 Census.
Statistical Classification: Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside
Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside
The Settlement Service Classification Report (2006) defined settlements in Bands A - G as Retail, 'Public Administration, Health and Education', Employment and Service Centres. Waterfoot is classified as the following:
- Retail Centre - not applicable
- Public Administration, Health and Education Centre - not applicable
- Employment Centre - not applicable
- Service Centre - not applicable
The population of Waterfoot on Census day (29th April 2001) was 504 people. The demographic characteristics of the people living in Waterfoot were as follows:
On Census Day 2001 there were 203 households in Waterfoot. Statistics relating to Waterfoot households include:
- 26.1% were aged under 16 years;
- 12.9% were aged 60 and over;
- the average age was 31.8 years (NI average age 35.8 years);
- 49.8% of the population were male and 50.2% were female;
- 98.0% were from a Catholic Community Background;
- 2.0% were from a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' Community Background;
- 11.3% were born outside Northern Ireland; and
- 0.0% were from an ethnic group other than white.
Health and Care
- average household size was 2.53 persons per household (NI level 2.65 persons per household);
- 70.4% of households were one family households;
- 13.3% were lone-parent households with dependent children.
According to the 2001 Census, health and care statistics for Waterfoot show:
Housing and Transport
- 19.3% of people had a limiting long-term illness, health problem or disability;
- 48 people noted that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others (24 providing 20 or more hours of care per week); and
- 39.9% of households had at least one person with a limiting long term illness.
According to the 2001 Census, housing statistics for Waterfoot show:
Transport statistics taken from the 2001 Census show:
- there were 234 household spaces in Waterfoot;
- 27.8% of household spaces were either a detached house or bungalow; and
- 28.2% of households were owned outright, 39.6% were owned with a mortage or loan and 32.2% were rented.
The 2001 Census travel-to-work statistics show that of the 198 people aged 16-74 who lived in Waterfoot and were in employment:
- 79.2% of households had access to a car or van; and
- there were 221 cars or vans in this area.
Education, Employment and Economic Activity
- 81.6% usually travelled to work by car; and
- 6.6% usually worked at or from home.
According to the 2001 Census, education statistics for Waterfoot show:
Census 2001 employment statistics show that of the 198 people aged 16-74 who lived in Waterfoot and were in employment:
- 13.2% of the population aged 16-74 had degree level or higher qualifications;
- 38.8% had no qualifications.
Unemployment statistics from the 2001 Census showed that in Waterfoot:
- 42.9% were female;
- 58.6% were male; and
- 20.2% were employed as ‘Managers, Senior Officials or in Professional Occupations’.
The table below gives a comparison with the Northern Ireland picture.
- 5.5% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.
|Percentage Comparisons (%)||SETTLEMENT||CLASSIFICATION BAND||N.IRELAND|
|Waterfoot||Small Village, Hamlet and Open Countryside||N.I||Under 16 years of age||26.1||24.3||23.6||Over 60 years of age||12.9||17.0||17.6||Male||49.8||51.1||48.7||Female||50.2||48.9||51.3||Catholic (Community Background)||98.0||47.5||43.8||Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related) (Community Background)||2.0||50.7||53.1||Born outside of NI||11.3||7.6||9.0||Ethnic group other than white||0.0||0.4||0.8||Persons with limiting long-term illness||19.3||18.2||20.4||Providing unpaid care||9.5||10.7||11.0||Owner-occupied households||67.8||82.4||69.6||Detached houses/bungalows||27.8||72.4||36.5||Access to a car or van||79.2||87.9||73.7||Degree level education or higher||13.2||14.5||15.8||No qualifications||38.8||43.2||41.6||Persons in employment who are female||42.9||41.3||45.0||Persons in employment who are male||58.6||58.7||55.0||Unemployed||5.5||3.3||4.1|
All statistics from the 2001 Census. Percentages have been rounded to one decimal place.
Last revised 30th April 2007.
Crown Copyright 2011